Thursday, June 21, 2012

Gentle Waves of Soy Milk, Not Rip Currents

I'm trying to remember the last time I had corn flakes, and the year doesn't come to mind. I've always been a Cheerios fanatic, ever since I was little, when my parents used it to keep me quiet in stores (sometimes I screamed because I liked to hear my voice). They always kept a steady supply on hand. Maybe corn flakes were for vacations, in keeping with exploration of things not part of daily lives. I'm sure I've had it sporadically throughout my life, but not enough to remember one key rule about corn flakes filled up to near the top of a bowl: Don't pour milk (or soy milk, in my case) as heavily as with Cheerios, which each have a hole in the middle and can therefore handle a deluge of milk with grace.

I realized this on Tuesday when I poured soy milk over Kellogg's Corn Flakes, but moreso yesterday. Pour your milk of choice too fast, and it fairly dives off the flakes and belly flops onto the counter, exploding in different directions. Before the first bite, I had to mop up the Olympic Diving Team with a paper towel.

It's a good lesson not only in proper milk pouring depending on the cereal, but also in life: A gentle touch in everything, always. Or else you have to mop up more than you ever expected.

2 comments:

  1. Olympic Diving Team! You had a problem with your corn flakes because Mom and Dad are out of town. Meridith should supervise you more carefully. And I've always been a Rice Krispies girl, but last year I got turned on to Special K. I tuned in and dropped out. Now I'm a K addict, fighting that monkey up my butt.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would have had a problem with the corn flakes even if they had been here. Been a long time since I dealt with a cereal that has pronounced ridges.

      Delete