Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Garner Files (Cue the Mike Post theme music)

Before this morning, there were three books I'm psyched about this year:

Joy for Beginners by Erica Bauermeister (June 9) - Bauermeister's second novel. She's the author of "School for Essential Ingredients," which is so rich in characters and food that you actually spend more time per page just sighing with pleasure over what she's described.

It's Classified by Nicolle Wallace (September 20) - Wallace wrote "Eighteen Acres", about Charlotte Kramer, the first female president, her chief of staff Melanie Kingston, and everything involved in being the president. But what Wallace does here is actually cover three presidents. There's Kramer, who gets the most space, and then President Charles Martin and President Phil Harlow, both of whom Kingston served. Harlow is from Florida, served as governor for two terms, and he and Martin are what I e-mailed Wallace about, begging her to write books about them, too. I'm a native Floridian, so anything she includes about Harlow's love for Florida (exemplified by Kingston bringing Harlow a daily news file containing clips from many Florida newspapers, keeping him apprised of what's going on in his home state) I eat up greedily. Martin is Harlow's nephew, who succeeded him, so that's a unique arrangement and certainly one Wallace should pursue. She could write an empire of presidential fiction with what she has set up in "Eighteen Acres", and "It's Classified" continues that.

Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of Magical Reading by Nina Sankovitch (June 7) - Sankovitch started a blog called "Read All Day", and that's exactly what she did. She read one book every single day from October 2008 to October 2009 and wrote a review of each one. This is about that journey, which doesn't make me envious, because I do it, too, just without the reviews. But I want to know all about it.

Add to that what I just discovered this morning: James Garner has written a memoir! Well, he had help, by Jon Winokur, his ghostwriter, but that doesn't matter! James Garner has written a memoir!

It's called The Garner Files, and it includes an introduction by Julie Andrews! I hope she mentions "Victor/Victoria" and that there's some space for it in this memoir. I'm also hoping for some words about "Murphy's Romance," but that's a minor hope compared to "Victor/Victoria." Naturally, there'll be insights about "Maverick" and "The Rockford Files", and it comes out on November 8th.

I'm impatient about all of them. I want to read them NOW!!! But I think I've got enough books to tide me over until I receive these from Amazon. I pre-ordered all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment